A partial list of the SHC's Major Accomplishments
- Developed and adopted Shelter Standards in 2005 and 2006 (now titled the Homeless Solutions Rule)
- Worked with General Assistance to better serve populations by providing a 24/7 phone number.
- Created and implemented (ongoing) Maine’s Plan to End and Prevent Homelessness, initiated in 2007, finalized in 2008
- Subsequent revisions to the Plan in 2011 and 2017
- Encouraged and supported two major cost of homelessness studies in Maine, 2007, and 2009.
- Developed and helped implement/oversee Maine’s actions pertinent to the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program (HPRP) of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) 2009-2012.
- Initiated and created the Maine Long Term Stayers (LTS) Initiative, concept initiated in 2012, implemented in 2013, finalized materials 3/2014.
- Initiated legislation: LD 598 - Resolve, Directing All Relevant Agencies of State Government to Work in Concert with a Plan To End and Prevent Homelessness To Ensure That Resources Are Available To End Homelessness in the State, 2/2013
- Initiated legislation: LD 2569 - Resolve: To direct all relevant state branches of government to work in concert with Maine’s Plan to End and Prevent Homelessness to see that resources are where they need to be to end homelessness in Maine, 10/2013
- Created the “White Paper – Medicaid Waiver for People who have experienced Long-Term Homelessness”, 12/2013
- Created Maine’s Ending Homelessness Resources Prioritization Chart (which actualizes/directs resources in keeping with Maine’s Plan to End and Prevent Homelessness), initiated 12/2014, adopted 3/2015, revised annually thereafter. This forms the basis for our annual Continuum of Care applications to HUD for the most significant portion of our funding to end homelessness.
- Created Op Eds, seven published in total: Portland Press Herald 4/2015; Bangor Daily news 3/2016; Portland Press herald 1/2017; Portland Press Herald 5/2017; Portland Press Herald 12/2017; Portland Press Herald 7/2018, and Portland Press Herald 11/2018.
- Created the Maine Homeless Policy Committee – a joint committee of the SHC and the Maine Continuum of Care, as an effort to tie policy efforts in the state together, 5/2015
- Testified regularly each year on various bills related to homelessness, and fought against cuts to safety net programs. Organized Regional Homeless Councils and CoC to participate as well – 2005 to present
- Created of the Maine Department of Health and Human Services Blueprint for Ending Homelessness, initiated 7/2015, finalized 2/2016
- Provided essential input on the Section 17 rule changes, 3/2016
- Provided essential input on Maine’s Housing Trust Fund Allocation Plan, to ensure that the resources be directed towards people experiencing homelessness, 8/2016
- Developed Maine’s Ideal Rental Subsidy for Homeless Populations, 2/2017
- Developed Maine’s definition of Functional Zero, 4/2017
- Provided essential input from a rural state on the update to the Federal Plan to End and Prevent Homelessness, 12/2017
- Created a policy proposal for a Rental Subsidy for Stabilizing People who are Homeless with a Substance Use Disorder, 1/2018
- Provided input to DHHS on rule change affecting funding for Substance Use Disorder homeless shelters, 9/2018.
- Created legislation for a Low Barrier Rental Subsidy for Long Term Stayers for the 2019 Legislature to consider.
- Helped shape annual data released on Homelessness each year.
- Weighed in on MaineHousing’s Annual Action Plans and 5-year Strategic Plans.
- Offered input on a wide variety of Federal legislation through Maine’s Delegation each year, including SEVRA, RHYA, PATH, VAWA, HEARTH ACT, NHTF, CRA, FSSP, FUP, HOTMA, LIHTC policy, funding for all HUD Programs and particularly Section 8 and HAG, and other pieces of legislation affecting homelessness in Maine.